Death toll rises to 31 in Egypt violence

Death toll rises to 31 in Egypt violence
Port Said:  Egyptian health officials say the death toll from rioting in the city of Port Said has risen to 31.

Angry residents and young men went on a rampage in the city Saturday after a court handed down death sentences to almost two dozen local fans involved in a deadly melee at a soccer game last year.

Residents say the city's streets are deserted early Sunday. Local authorities have instructed government departments to take the day off, except for health and food supplies facilities.

Stores were closed and hotels asked guests to leave, fearing more violence.

Residents say army troops backed by tanks and armored vehicles have taken control of the city.

The officials and residents spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the media.

Story First Published: January 27, 2013 15:12 IST

................................ Advertisement ................................

MORE FROM NDTV
FROM THE WEB