The Karnataka government on Thursday decided to take up development of 30 km of roads in each of the 189 rural constituencies at a cost of Rs 2,160 crore.
Talking to reporters after a cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar, Primary and Secondary Education Minister Vishweshwara Hegde Kageri said 20 km of such rural roads have already been developed or are in the process of being completed.
The Cabinet gave the go-ahead for 53 housing projects, worth Rs 7,888 crore, of Karnataka Housing Board, which would develop 1,30,471 plots and build 6,867 houses.
The National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences (NIMHANS) was allotted about 40 acres of land at Kyalasanahalli near here to start a "northern campus".
The cabinet cleared a proposal of waiving crop loans up to Rs 25,000 availed by farmers between August 1, 2011, and July 25, which will burden the state exchequer to the tune of Rs 3,500 crore.
The decision was announced by the chief minister in the recent session of the state Legislature. It would benefit 15 lakh farmers, Mr Kageri said. "Government notification will be issued very soon," he said
It was also decided to launch a Rs 50 crore "Own seed development scheme".
Arrangements would be made through various agencies for processing and certification of seeds grown by farmers, while necessary infrastructure and financial assistance would be provided under this scheme, he said.
A sum of Rs 300 crore would be released for constructing laboratories, toilets, and additional class-rooms in degree colleges. As many as 19 private law colleges would henceforth get government grants, Mr Kageri said.
The state also decided to participate in the national land records modernisation programme, under which the central funding is to the tune of 60 per cent, while the state has to chip in with the remaining 40 per cent.
A cabinet sub-committee for overseeing filling up back-log posts of SCs and STs was reorganised with Kannada and Culture Minister Govind M Karjol as its chairman.