Pronouncing its order on Delhi Police's midnight crackdown on yoga guru Baba Ramdev's camp in New Delhi, the Supreme Court today rapped the State and the Delhi Police on its knuckles in what it termed as a case of "police excess". The court also held the yoga guru guilty of negligence.
Here are the highlights of what the court said:
- The court said police restrictions were unreasonable and unwarranted
- The State could have avoided the clash
- There was undue haste by Delhi police
- A sleeping congregation can't be held unlawful
- The yoga guru was guilty of negligence as he couldn't maintain law and order
- Real sufferers were the public
- Ramlila crackdown victim Rajbala's family to be paid Rs five lakh compensation
- Supreme Court directs criminal prosecution against police personnel and Ramdev's supporters who behaved violently during the incident.