Senior leaders from Sharad Pawar's Nationalist Congress Party or the NCP met today to decide its stand on its alliance with the UPA. Union minister Praful Patel spoke to the media after the meeting. Here are the highlights of what he said:
- We wanted our leaders from Maharashtra to attend the meeting.
- Nothing was decided in the meeting today. However, all speculation is untrue. We are part of the UPA and will remain so till 2014. We are an integral part of the UPA. We are not a supporting party. We have been part and parcel of this government from the start. We will continue to support the UPA.
- We are responsible partners in the UPA and continue to be so.
- NCP wants the government in Maharashtra to run well. There have been a lot of talks, rumours, we have been reading in the press.
- Our member Agatha Sangma was here and said she will go by what the party decides.
- By tomorrow or day after tomorrow, we will let you know what our decision will be and the whole issue will be put to rest.
- Our leader Sharad Pawar has already communicated all issues to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
- Some senior Congress leaders have been making irresponsible statements. This does not reflect on the party's central leadership.