Praful Patel addresses media on Congress-NCP crisis: Highlights
NDTV Correspondent | Updated: July 20, 2012 18:09 IST
- There have been some political developments
- Some speculation about certain positions Mr Pawar holds in the government
- NCP has been one of the most responsible allies of the UPA in the last 8 years or so and has been a pillar of strength both inside the government and outside in the functioning of UPA govt.
- There have been some political issues between NCP and Congress over the years
- We are entering the last two years before the next general elections, and it is time that we as a political party must along with the UPA gear up for the next round of elections in 2014.
- Government must also be more decisive, more committed to issues which are before the people of the country and with the presence of Mr Pawar, a leader of tall stature, and the UPA alongwith the able leadership of the PM will be able to successfully deal with these issues.
- Mr Pawar sent a communication to the PM raising some of these issues- unfortunately there has been speculation over the communication. I'm very pained that there are some sections in the Congress party that have been wrongly briefing the media.
- They are trying to drive a wedge between two old alliance partners
- The PM on receiving Mr Pawar's communication spoke to him yesterday. This morning Mrs Sonia Gandhi invited Mr Pawar for a chat.
- Our party has been discussing issues within for some time. We waited for the Presidential elections to get over as a responsible ally.
- This is not about the Number 2 position in government. Despite not having numbers, Mr Pawar sits next to Mrs Sonia Gandhi in Parliament.
- Mr Pawar brings much more to the table than sitting somewhere
- Mr Pawar is not so petty as to make this an issue for continuing in government
- Our issues are about the functioning of the UPA and the larger coalition
- We are unhappy with some aspects which Mr Pawar has raised with Mrs Sonia Gandhi and the PM
- Our party will meet again on Monday to discuss our issues
- We will communicate our decision after the Monday meeting
Story first published:
July 20, 2012 12:03 IST