Ten days before the Budget session of Parliament begins, the opposition
has been handed a new controversy to attack the Congress-led UPA
government with and the BJP has quickly termed the Italian chopper deal
now under a cloud as the "second Bofors scam".
Senior leader Ravi Shankar Prasad addressed the media today demanding that the deal be reviewed.
Highlights of his press conference.
- Was the Ambassador of Italy summoned to Defence Ministry and impressed upon the need for information?
- Did Mr Antony send some senior officer of the Defence Ministry to get information?
- Certainly this arrest of the CEO is the culmination of a process of investigation - why did the govt not know anything?
- Let the govt explain why an inquiry was not done earlier... Who was trying to save whom? We want to know.
- We will hold the PM, Sonia Gandhi accountable.
- We demand that fresh supply be stopped and the deal be reviewed.
- Does Govt inaction have to do with company being Italian?
- I find it very interesting that the UPA finds a way to get kickbacks on all projects started by the NDA - be it the 2G scam, the Commonwealth Games, and now this.