Pranab Mukherjee, the UPA's candidate for the post of President of India, resigned as Finance Minister today.
Here are the highlights of what he said at a presser:
- Friends in the media, I know you have many questions to ask me. But today is not the day to open a new dialogue so let me just say how good it has been to have a dialogue with you all these years.
- Today is a day to embark on anew journey.
- I feel honoured and humbled to be the presidential candidate for UPA 2, supported by Samajwadi party, BSP, Shiv Sena, CPM , Forwad Bloc.
- Standing at the brink of such honour I feel a tinge of sentiment leaving my life as a political activists of over 4 decades.
- I will miss my colleagues in the Finance Ministry.
- Friends I have travelled a distance in my life but I always remind myself that I was born in a village in Bengal, I saw the lives of poor farmers.
- Not every decision I have taken may have been right but I have taken those decisions keeping in view the interests of people whose faces appear before me more than all.
- Members of the media have always reminded me of my responsibilities, most of the time through your criticism and sometimes through your appreciation.
- I hope this you will continue as long as I am in public life.
- Thank you sincerely for the opportunity which you have given me to interact with you.