The Bharatiya Janata Party-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA) is in no hurry to announce their candidate for the upcoming presidential poll. This is what senior BJP leader LK Advani told mediapersons after a meeting of the alliance in New Delhi today , adding that the coalition was focused on its future strategy.Here are the highlights of what Mr Advani said:
- Today's government is the worst government.
- Never seen such lack of coherence and lack of trust at higher levels.
- There is no rush for us to decide on Presidential candidate.
- Total lack of coherence and intense levels of distrust at highest levels in UPA.
- Met Jayalalithaa, she said never before has such a major election been botched up like this.
- We will closely watch every development.
- We will assemble once again, may want to consult our chief minister, may call him for the NDA meeting.
- The two leaders who played vital role till yesterday have gone back to their respective homes (Mamata + Mulayam). Both are allies of ruling party.
- We have decided to have constant consultation with all leaders of all non-Congress parties particularly.
- If the government really wants to correct the situation, let it consult all political parties.
- Sangma had good term as Speaker of Lok Sabha. He belongs to North East, is tribal...but I will have to consult BJP and NDA.
- Jayalalithaa agreed that it is necessary that we coordinate our efforts. She asked me about Sangma. But we have to see what would have to be done to make him win.
- I don't see anything wrong in a contest...it is a democracy.
- But events of the last 2-3 days are what I describe as clumsy handling, if not total mishandling (by UPA).
- Consensus between government and opposition is okay, but not between Congress and BJP.