The Commonwealth Games scam could be much bigger than previously thought. Every day, more and more Games-related projects are coming under the scanner and fresh details of corruption and bungling indicate how deep the rot is.
NDTV has learnt that the Central Vigilance Commission (CVC) is now looking at a robbery that could be to the tune of five thousand to eight thousand crore.
So what has the country's anti-corruption watchdog dug up so far in the great Games robbery? Sources say the CVC has found several discrepancies in tenders for Games-related projects:
- Large sums of money have allegedly been paid to non-existent parties
- The execution of many contracts has been deliberately delayed
- The CVC has found that money paid for many Games related projects are abnormally high
- It has also detected widespread bungling in the purchase of equipment for the Games
Meanwhile, investigating agencies have secured all the RTI files from Organising Committee (OC). OC Chief Vigilance Officer has now taken over OC RTI cell.New projects under scanner
With new Games-related projects coming under the scanner, it's truly a Commonwealth can of worms. Let's now take a quick look at the fresh CWG projects in which the CVC has detected discrepancies:
- It's looking into possible fraud in the purchase of HOVA Courts for the Badminton stadium
- The CVC has also found fraud in tenders for the installation of kitchen equipment
- Funds have allegedly been siphoned in video board tenders - at the Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium
- It has also found irregularities in contracts given for audio system, LED display boards, communication units at CWG venues
- The CVC is already investigating 22 other projects.