Investigators, who had pinned hopes on CCTV footage for evidence in their probe into the assault case against Saif Ali Khan, were left disappointed. The police say no video cameras were installed in the area where the brawl took place at Wasabi, the uber-fancy restaurant at the Taj Hotel in Colaba.
The 41-year-old Bollywood star, who has been booked for assaulting an NRI businessman Iqbal Sharma has said the midnight brawl on Tuesday is not a "publicity stunt" and that he felt sorry for what had happened. Saif said that he acted in self defence and that he was attacked first.
Here are the latest developments in the case:
1) Sources in the Mumbai Police tell NDTV that the counter complaint filed by the actor last night against Mr Sharma does not stand. In his complaint, Saif has alleged that Mr Sharma's father-in-law punched him first and that the duo abused the women who were accompanying him at the restaurant. He has also alleged that his eye was swollen after he was hit. But sources in the police say that after studying his application, the actor's injuries cannot be ascertained as he has not backed it up with a medical certificate. (Read)
2) The actor on Thursday apologised for 'losing control' and said,"...And it is our responsibility that we always behave the right way. So in one way, I would like to apologise about what happened and I think even this could have been handled in a different way. I get angry at things any normal person will get angry at. But it should not be displayed in public." (Watch)
3) Saif was dining with girlfriend and co-actor Kareena Kapoor and other Bollywood friends - Kareena's sister Karisma Kapoor; actor Amrita Arora and her husband, Shakeel Ladak; and Bilal Amrohi, a producer. In his complaint, the actor has alleged that his eye got swollen after he was punched and that Bilal Amrohi and Shakeel Ladak too have got bruises on their chest.
4) Saif's lawyer Mohan Jayakar said "Saif was provoked after women at the table were abused. Filthy language was used by Mr Sharma."
5) "We are studying the restaurant's CCTV footage. The security cameras at the staircase of the restaurant where the incident occurred did not capture the fight," a senior police official said, adding that statements of actresses Kareena Kapoor and Amrita Arora will now be recorded.
6) At around 7:50 pm on Wednesday, Saif was arrested by the police at his lawyer's office
based on a complaint by Mr Sharma. Girlfriend and co-star Kareena Kapoor accompanied him. Around 90 minutes later, he left the Colaba police station after having paid Rs. 15,000 and being granted bail.
7) Giving his side of the story, Saif said Mr Sharma was rude to the women at his table and when Saif intervened, Mr Sharma threw the first punch. (Read: Saif's statement on assault case)
8) In a press statement released just after he got bail, Saif said, "I don't think any gentleman would have behaved differently. The CCTV footage in the restaurant will prove everything."
9) In his version of events, Mr Sharma says he sent a note to Saif's table, asking his group to talk a little softer. "They were making a lot of noise. And we asked the management to ask them to be quiet so that we could also enjoy our evening. This failed on about three occasions at least." Mr Sharma says his family and he decided to leave the restaurant; on their way out, they ran into Saif who had left Wasabi and was on his way back in. At this point, Mr Sharma says, Saif struck. (Video: The man whose nose Saif allegedly fractured)
10) Saif's home production, Agent Vinod, releases on March 23. It co-stars Kareena.