Indore: Over 50 students of Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Indore fell sick due to suspected food poisoning, its spokesman said today.
"These students yesterday complained of nausea, stomach upset and headache after having dinner at their hostel mess on Saturday", Akhtar Parvez, IIM Public Relations Officer, said.
"Most of them were rushed to the IIM nursing home and serious ones were taken to private hospitals", he said.
"Eleven of the ailing students are still being treated at two private hospitals, Choithram and Unique, where their condition was said to be out of danger. A high-level team from IIM, including medical experts, was probing the incident of suspected food poisoning", Mr Parvez said.
A Mumbai-based company has been running the hotel mess, he said, adding the reason for suspected food poisoning was yet be ascertained.
When contacted, district Chief Medical and Health Officer (CMHO) Sharad Pandit told PTI that no one from the IIM administration reported the matter to the State Government and they came to know about it from today's newspapers.
Two Food Safety Officers have been directed to visit the IIM mess and take stock of the situation, he added.
Story first published:
June 18, 2012 22:37 IST