Home Secretary RK Singh and Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar addressed the media on the developments in the Delhi gang-rape case.
Here are the highlights of what they said:
RK Singh, Home Secretary:
- As we have indicated, we will chargesheet this case quickly.
- After the chargesheet, we will have an expeditious trial.
- Our request will be for a day to day trial and we will ask for maximum penalty.
- Yesterday I had a meeting with Delhi Police and we discussed ways and means to crackdown on crime.
- This is going to be a place where any goondagardi or dadagiri will be swiftly punished.
- Large number of such buses which are contract carriages and were illegally plying have been impounded and will remain impounded.
- We will auction them after court orders. Licences cancelled.
- Licence ID to be displayed in buses, autos and taxis.
- Any misbehaviour, complain to us and we will ensure the vehicle is impounded and it doesn't ply.
- We will have plainclothes people on the streets, also on buses, and we hope to catch some people.
- There is no reason for the Delhi Police to be defensive.
- They have investigated and caught five of the six culprits.
- If we think dispassionately, any case cracked in one or two days is brilliant work.
- We have instructed the authorities about GPS (Global Positioning System). There will be GPS on all buses and all autos.. we have had a meeting with transport commissioner.
- We raised with transport commissioner the issue of more buses on routes in the night.
- From what I have looked at - I looked for the response of the PCR van.
- I was told four minutes. Could they have reached earlier - that is a difficult question... four minutes is okay. Was investigation prompt and effective - yes it was.
- So while we have not said no one will be held accountable, prima facie, on both counts, police cannot be faulted.
- There is a separate strength sanctioned for VIP security.
- There is no diversion of policemen from normal pool.
- There are about 2700 people in X, Y, Z and Z+ categories.
- I do not agree with people who say capital punishment is bad. But any change in law can be prospective and not retrospective.
Neeraj Kumar, Commissioner of Police, Delhi:
- The fourth accused was tracked down to Rajasthan and brought to Delhi on December 18.
- Last night we tracked down the fifth accused who is a juvenile so we cannot give details.
- Police parties are on the trail of Akshay Thakur a resident of Aurangabad in Bihar, and we hope he will be tracked down soon.
- We are hopeful that based on circumstantial evidence, oral evidence and forensic evidence we will be able to secure conviction.
- We have added attempt to murder under Section 307 to the charges.
- Police Control Room responded within four minutes.
- The victims got timely medical aid dues to police response.
- 729 vehicles prosecuted on December 19 - 181 were buses. 464 vehicles - beat officers removed films.
- All vehicles from other states with tinted glasses are being turned back - they will be allowed in Delhi only when tinted glasses are removed.
- Crackdown on all charted buses trying to pass off as public carriages.
- We are trying to implement a strict regime of permits - tied up with transport departments.
- All drivers, cleaners need to be verified and need to have public service vehicle buses.
- Anyone from other part of the country driving a public bus needs to be put through a fresh test.
- The boy was disoriented - he gave us a vague description. One thing he was clear about is that it was a white bus and deluxe bus.
- We started checking all white buses of that description.
- We came across the video footage and we could piece together Yadav from the blurred footage.
- We then tracked down one Yadav who led us to another person - and we then found the bus and the driver.