1993 blasts convict Ishaq Hajwane dies in Mumbai

1993 blasts convict Ishaq Hajwane dies in Mumbai

File photo

Mumbai An 85-year-old man awarded life sentence in the 1993 serial bomb blasts in Mumbai died at his home on Sunday.

Ishaq Hajwane was at present out on bail. The Supreme Court had upheld his conviction by Terrorist and Disruptive Activities (TADA) court in March this year.

He was one of the convicts who along with actor Sanjay Dutt had been given one-month additional time to surrender by the apex court.

"Ishaq Hajwane died at his residence. He was suffering from multiple organ failure," said his advocate Farhana Shah.

Hajwane was found guilty of criminal conspiracy and participating in a weapons training session organised by Tiger Memon, the key mastermind behind the blasts.

The TADA court had sentenced him to 14 years' imprisonment. However, the apex court had enhanced his sentence to imprisonment for life.

Hajwane was to surrender on May 16, Mr Shah said.

"I will inform the court about his demise to the TADA court once I get the death certificate," Mr Shah added.

Story First Published: May 05, 2013 16:38 IST

................................ Advertisement ................................

................................ Advertisement ................................